Posts Tagged ‘college admission counselor’

FAFSA Deadline is Fast Approaching – Apply Now

Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

The deadline to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( is February 1. June 30 is the official government deadline but for many schools including Boston U, Brandeis, and Carnegie Mellon it is February 1. If you do not get your form in by this date, you may not be eligible to receive certain merit scholarships and/or school financial aid.

We repeat: Some MERIT scholarships are tied to filling out the FAFSA. Check the college websites to see if you need to apply.

ALL students should fill out the FAFSA no matter what their household income is, if they would like to be eligible for aid.
This is a strong recommendation from the expert college counselors at International College Counselors.

There is no penalty for filling out the FAFSA whether you receive aid or not. Many students are surprised by the aid they are eligible to receive. And then you can choose to use this aid or not.

The FAFSA is free. You do not need to pay for it, and you do not need to have checked the “financial aid” box on the common application.

The FAFSA is also a long document with many questions, and you need to gather documentation (a list is below). Do NOT leave this until the last minute.

Completing the FAFSA, an introductory publication for students, provides free instructions on how to complete the FAFSA.

If you have specific questions, representatives at FAFSA are EXTREMELY helpful. Do not hesitate to call the contact numbers.
FAFSA contact info.

For more information on financial aid, please contact International College Counselors.

Also, when beginning your FAFSA, please refer to the “Common Errors When Filing for Financial Aid” page in your binder. If you are missing it, please let us know.

Before submitting the FAFSA double-check EVERYTHING.

Documentation and paperwork you need to complete the FAFSA

In addition to gathering financial information, you will need a FAFSA account and a FAFSA pin. Go to to get one.

NOTE: All financial information needs to be for the previous financial year. Students filing for the 2011-2012 FAFSA need documentation from tax year 2010. If you don’t have your W-2 tax forms from 2010, you can estimate by using pay stubs and then file a FAFSA correction later.

• Your Social Security card. Make sure you enter the number correctly!
• Your driver’s license (if any)
• Your 2010 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
• Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) 2010 Federal Income Tax Return.
• IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
• Foreign Tax Return, or
• Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
• Your Parents’ 2010 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
• Your 2010 untaxed income records
• Your current bank statements
• Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
• Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

Contact International College Counselors with any questions you may have.

International College Counselors
Main office: 954.253.5719

International College Counselors provides expert college counseling on undergraduate and graduate college admissions, financial aid, tuition, essays, and college applications. Mandee Heller Adler, college admissions consultant and Founder of International College Counselors tailors her college counseling and college coaching services to address the goals, needs, and dreams of each student. Our college advising company works with domestic and international students. Let us help you make the best decisions in choosing, getting into, and paying for college.

International College Counselors
3107 Stirling Road, Suite 208
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33312 USA
(954) 414-9986

College Admissions Advisors in Florida | College Admissions Advisors in Connecticut | College Counselors in North Carolina